Stephanie's Professional Journal Blog

Friday, October 20, 2006

Journal Number One

“My Space or Yours?”
Joanne Barrett

In today’s society there are so many things, and people, we need to protect our families and students from. One such item we must protect our students from can be accessed from various locations and may not seem dangerous at all. This surprising new threat is known as social networking. Although social networking may be used for positive reasons like: connecting with old or new friends, classmates, collaborating on homework, or even to connect with future employers; this can be a dangerous tool when used by someone who isn’t well informed of the dangers this system may present. As educators it is our responsibility to help our students learn safe internet habits as well as proper netiquette. It is also our responsibility to be well informed in technological matters so that we may better present truthful relevant information to our students. This information should properly inform students and help each of them to make wise choices when interacting with others online.

1. How can I, as a future educator, inform my students of the dangers social networking sites present to them?
One way I believe would be effective in teaching my students about the dangers of social networking would be to create my own web page on one of the social networking sites most popular with my students; however, this profile would look nothing like me and who I actually am. I would create a profile of someone students would perceive as being someone their own age; someone they might actually connect with. After presenting this activity I would inform students that all of the information presented to them about this person was false and that I, in actuality, was the creator of this profile. I believe this activity would show students that we all need to be careful when interacting with others online because they may not really be who they say they are. Unfortunately, they could be someone with bad intentions.

2. How can I teach my students to use these sites safely?
I hope to teach my students of the types of information that should/should not be placed on the internet and give them logical reasons why. Students need to understand that it isn’t only going to be their friends looking at their profile because anyone can gain access to these sites if they have a membership account. Students should know that if someone has their personal information (i.e. phone number, school name, city of residence, last name, e-mail, screen name, etc.) they can use that information for improper reasons and how it can be a danger to their safety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home